Assignments: 1) create vocabulary cards for: a. valence electrons (located in outer energy level) and b. covalent bonding (atoms share electrons so that each atom's outer energy level is full)
2) Copy the following notes - JP29: Key Concepts - Ionic Bonding
- The attractions between the protons and electrons of atoms can cause an electron to move completely from one atom to the other.
- When an atom loses or gains an electron, it is called an ion.
- The atom that loses an electron becomes a positive ion.
- The atom that gains an electron becomes a negative ion.
- A positive and negative ion attract each other and form an ionic bond.
HW: Make sure you are finished with today's work.